August 18, 2008

Turner vs. Tortured



Manhattan
, NY — At the Metropolitan Art Museum this Sunday, there were millions of paintings from J.M.W Turner to be seen. I exaggerate on the number of paintings but here was a prolific and accomplished artist of his time. Tuner did not seem like a suffering artist who labored without recognition. Seeing Turner’s work made me think of the idea of a suffering artist in today’s time.

I must say that I am guilty. I generally think that art doesn’t pay unless one has reached the stratospheric heights of a few who through sponsorship, awards, or the limelight of notoriety are able to translate these three things into public and commercial success. In this world, the Damien Hirsts or Jeff Koons reside. My personal opinion of their art doesn’t matter but they command hefty prices for their work.

Excepting these few who hold the spotlight, where do other artists live? My presumption is that they suffer a little for recognition. My question is this: is art as an ability not as valued as other abilities? Somehow the question of commerce must be addressed. Someone must buy one’s labor or the fruits of one’s labor. So the questions that follow immediately are where is the appetite for art, who prices art, who buys it, and who gets to decide what it is.

I think of my painter friend J. whom these are not just questions. He lives in Portland, Oregon and he is also a talented teacher of fine art. He paints and carves out time to paint among the thing he does during the week to make money—he works at a gallery and consults with buyers on their purchases. He sells art. He would much rather be paid for his paintings or for teaching at universities which he has done. He wants recognition.

I would have to be an art critic to dissect the art world and the culture in which art exists. In Turner’s day, there were royal academies to which artists can gain membership. In this way, recognition is conferred. I don’t know what my friend J. must do to thrive as an artist today. His work reminds me of Nicolas Poussin and allegories of virtues and vice. I admire his singular passion to create something of beauty regardless if someone pays.