February 01, 2009

Re-Forming














During the last day at the Brooklyn apartment, a neighbor came by and slid a gently written note under my door. She wrote this wish for me: "Much happiness and success in the new life". Jane and I shared a history. And now Jane recedes into history...to be recalled later.

I thought of this gentle New York moment and countless others stepping off the plane at Sea-Tac airport into Seattle. What felt new was a sense of loss for a place. New York was home and now the soul searches for another.

As I walked down the gentle slope of the terminal, words formed in my mind: "One step, one feeling, one moment." This was all I want to manage. This was all I could manage.

At Baggage Claim, I sat waiting for my sister to pick me up. I sit here now in her home way past midnight waiting for some kind of peace. Things feel familiar and bizarre. The words return: One step, one feeling, one breath. I must go to bed. Tomorrow is a new day.




photo by craft_uas at http://flickr.com/photos/craft_uas/1693597432/ creative commons license